Hypoaspis miles (also known as Stratiolaelaps scimitus) is a soil dwelling predatory mite and is the biological control agent found in Bioline’s Hypoline product. These mites aid in controlling fungus gnat larvae, Shorefly larvae and thrips pupae that drop from the plant into the growing media. This predator is usually found within the top half inch of soil or growing media.
Target Crops » All indoor crops
Target Pest » Fungus Gnats larvae, Shore Flies & Thrips pupae
Target Life Stage » Juvenile
Delivery Systems » Tubes & Bags
- Attacks fungus gnats, shore flies and thrips larvae in the soil.
- Tolerates variable soil moisture levels.
- Fungus gnats
- Shore flies
- Thrips pupae
How It Works
- Hypoaspis miles are normally found within the top half inch of soil, growing media or surface debris. Females lay eggs, which hatch after six days at 20°C (68°F) producing juvenile that actively feed for 10 days and continue to feed as adults. Adult mites live for several months when food is readily available, feeding on a wide range of soil/growing media pests.
- Hypoaspis miles are mobile and readily find nutrition and water required for development. They are able to tolerate periods when soil moisture levels are low.
- They prey on fungus gnat larvae and consume thrips larvae and pupae that drop to the growing media, making Hypoline a useful addition to other Thrips biological control agents.
Available delivery systems
Mites of all Hypoaspis miles stages from eggs to adults, are packed in a peat and vermiculite carrier with a food source.
- Supplied in a 500ml shaker tube containing 10,000 predators.
- Supplied in a 1L shaker tube containing 25,000 predators.
- Also supplied in a 5L bag containing 125,000 predators.
Handling & Storage
Instructions for use
- Incorporate mites into growing media during potting or sprinkle onto growing media surface. Mites will often move onto plants from growing media to look for prey during dark hours of day/night.
- Rotate tube several times before opening to mix contents.
- Remove the cap from one end of the tube (either end).
- Shake tube slowly to dispense mixture onto the surface of growing media.
- Mites will quickly distribute uniformly through crop.
- For advice on recommended release rates, consult The Bioline App.
Storage and transport
- Keep out of direct sunlight.
- Transport and store at 10-15°C / 50-59°F.