Exhibitline Sf contains the insect pathogenic nematode Steinernema feltiae. The nematodes move through the water films around soil particles and actively seek out Sciarid fly larvae. Similarly, it is also used for the control of Western Flower Thrips and Leafminers on ornamental plants. Exhibitline sf can also be used as a pre-planting treatment for thrips in cut flowers such as chrysanthemums.
Target Crops » All indoor and outdoor crops
Target Pest » Bradysia spp., sciarid fly larvae feeding in soil, most species of thrips larval and pupal stage, and leafminer larvae
Target Life Stage » Juvenile
Delivery Systems » Trays
- Provides up to 6 weeks protection from fungus gnat larvae.
- Steinernema feltiae also attack thrips pupae in soil.
- Kill adults and larvae of thrips on the foliage.
- Also attacks leafminers in leaves.
- Simple and safe to use, feltiae occurs naturally in soils.
- Contact with dip/application solution is critical for efficacy.
- Increased efficacy on thrips adult and larvae on foliage have been observed if crop stays wet longer.
- Best time of application in the evening just prior to sunset or on cloudy rainy day.
- Fungus gnats
- Western Flower thrips
- Eastern Flower thrips
- Onion thrips
How It Works
- This harmless nematode to crops, human, the environment, and other beneficial insects, actively seek out pest by swimming in the thin film of water. They locate hosts by detecting carbon dioxide and other waste products. After locating pest larvae, nematodes invade through natural body openings and inject bacteria into the insect. Bacteria develop within the insect and it dies of septicemia.
- Under optimum conditions, the insect can die within 12-24 hours. Insect mortality will depend on the environmental temperature. The minimum soil temperature should be 12°C ( 57°F) for nematodes to work most efficiently and the maximum soil temperature should be no more than 30°C ( 85°F).
Available delivery systems
- Exhibitline is available in units of 50 million, 250 million or 1,250 million entomopathogenic Steinernema feltiae nematodes in an inert carrier in sealed trays.
Handling & Storage
Instructions for use
- The nematode activity is affected by soil temperature. For optimum nematode activity the soil temperature should be between 14ºC (57ºF) and 25ºC (85ºF). The nematodes will remain active at temperatures below 14ºC (57ºF), but the associated bacteria will not function until the temperature rises above this threshold. Soil temperatures above 30ºC (86º) are harmful to S. feltiae. Use at 7-14 day intervals. Growing media pH must be between 3 and 8 and should be moist before and after application.
- Mix one 50 million pack per 30-50 gal/1,000ft2 (115-190l/100m2).
- Empty packs into a large bucket, then add water (water temperature approximately 70°F (21°C), and mix thoroughly.
- Rinse bucket contents into sprayer tank using the standard spray tank sieve.
- Add the required volume of additional water to the sprayer. Continually agitate contents of spray tank during application. Maintain this until spraying is completed.
- Once nematodes have been mixed with water, use immediately.
- Effectiveness may be improved by adding a wetting agent.
- Apply in high humidity conditions for foliar applications.
- Nozzle opening at least one millimeter.
- Remove all fine filters (less than one millimeter), including those in the nozzles, from the sprayer. Remove filters in spray system.
- Use a large droplet to provide a coarse spray pattern.
- For ornamentals under cover, spray onto growing media around plant roots.
- After growing media application, the treated area should be lightly irrigated from above to wash the nematodes into the growing media. Do not soak the growing media causing the nematodes to wash out of the pots.
For fungus gnat larvae:
- For best results, treat entire greenhouse or plant inventory as soon as fungus gnats are seen. If fungus gnats are established, it may take 2-3 weeks before the number of adults is noticeably reduced.
For Western Flower thrips:
- Soil application – 50 million/2000ft2 (200m2) to 250 million/5,500ft2 (1000m2).
- Foliage application – 50 million/1,100ft2 (400m2) to 250 million/11,000ft2 (1,020m2).
- Un-rooted cutting or rooted cutting dip – 50 million/13 gallons of dipping solution.
Storage and transport
- Store Exhibitline in a refrigerator (5ºC / 41°F). Do not freeze.
- Check expiration date on pack and use before they expire.
- Do not put the container in direct sunlight.
- Upon receipt remove outer packaging and ensure good air circulation around each pack.
- Use entire package contents at one time. Do not subdivide packs because each contains a measured dose of nematodes