Swirskiline contains the predatory mite, Amblyseius swirskii. It is used for whitefly and thrips control, but it will provide some reduction in other small pests. Ideal for protected crops in warm conditions but it can be used on non-protected crops, provided average daytime temperatures exceed 20°C (68°F).
Target Crops » All indoor and outdoor crops
Target Pest » Whitefly & thrips
Target Life Stage » Juvenile
Delivery Systems » Sachets, tubes & bags
- Amblyseius swirskii breed extremely quickly under warm, humid conditions. They will also survive in cooler night temperatures and through winter months in semi-protected crops.
- Actively feeds on thrips larvae (larva stage 1 or L1).
- Actively feeds on whitefly eggs and can feed on young whitefly larva (L1).
- In the absence of prey, it can feed on pollen, allowing it to survive longer in the crop.
- Western Flower thrips
- Chili thrips
- Onion thrips
- Greenhouse whitefly
- Silverleaf/Potato whitefly
How It Works
- Ideal for use in warmer condition crops (average daytime temperatures exceed 20°C /68°F), such as peppers, cucumbers, gerbera and eggplant.
- Establishment will be fastest on crops with ample pollen, such as pepper crops, as the pollen provides an alternative, high quality food source for the mites. Crops without pollen will have slower establishment, but using sachets that continually release mites over several weeks will improve results.
- Best used early in crop/pest cycle to prevent whitefly and thrips buildup since it does not feed on adult stages.
- Is active at 20°C (68°F), but performance increases at higher temperatures.
- Release a breeding colony of mites onto the plant, even before the target pest is present. The breeding colony is contained within a small paper sachet, which is carefully designed to maintain the colony in good condition. Mites continue to emerge from sachets over several weeks and in much higher numbers than with a single broadcast release.
- An immediate and high dose of predatory mites. Good for quickly establishing a population of mites and providing an immediate defense for your crop.
Available delivery systems
- The original sachet product.
- Bugline sachet
- Trusted and reliable.
- Smaller sachets for more introduction points.
- Best used where the leaves of plants are not expected to touch or grow together.
- Best used in crops with overhead irrigation or where a horizontal wire or string exists
- Unique, patented, water-resistant twin sachet design with two predator-breeding compartments.
- Water runs off outer surface which keeps the mites protected.
- There is no hook to get wet, so sachets remain on the plants.
- Water-resistant design allows for maximum emergence of predatory mites.
Sachets on a Stick
- Propagation is one of the most critical times for pest management. Mini sachets on a stick are ideal for effective pest prevention and control at this time.
- Labor savings versus weekly broadcast applications.
- Water-resistant sticks do not take any plug space away.
- Stick is round and small and can be used in any plug tray size.
- Can be applied in propagation at sticking or seeding line.
- Exit hole for mites is protected under waterproof.
- 6 x 100m strips of sachets.
- Unique, patented delivery system developed by Bioline to help growers reduce the manual labor associated with using sachets or applying loose material.
- Can be mechanically layered onto crop saving up to eight labor hours per acre compared to using single sachets.
- Unique design of Bugline ensures maximum emergence of BCAs even under stressful conditions.
- Works well in crops watered by overhead irrigation because water runs off outer surface while the emergence hole stays dry on lower surface.
- Bugline is especially useful in a cut flower operation such as cut chrysanthemums where Bugline can be placed on top of the crop support mesh wiring.
- For advice on recommended release rates, consult The Bioline App.
Bulk Bags & Tubes
- Available as loose material in 5qt (5L) bulk bags containing 125,000 mites
- Available as loose material in 1qt (1L) cardboard tubes containing 25,000 mites.
Handling & Storage
Instructions for CRS, Gemini or Mini Sachet
- Do not hang adjacent to heating pipes.
- Do not hang sachets where they will be directly exposed to intense sunlight.
- Open the shipping box of sachets in the crop.
- Separate sachets by tearing along perforations.
Instructions for Sachets on a Stick
- Open shipping box of sachets within the crop.
- Separate sachets by tearing along perforations.
- Stick one sachet into each propagation tray, pot or shuttle tray.
- Place sachet stick into the plug tray or pot/rockwool cube and have sachet sit approximately 1/8” above the growing media.
Instructions for Bugline
- Distribution of the strips can be done by attaching to the irrigation boom and pulling strips from the box down the greenhouse bay or manually by pulling it into the crop.
- Make sure the crop and floor are dry when applied. If crop and/or floor are wet, water can enter Bugline through the holes, and could result in some predatory mites within the cells being lost.
- Do not use adjacent to heating pipes.
Instructions for Bulk Bags & Tubes
- Keep containers horizontal and cool until use.
- Do not expose to direct sunlight at any time.
- Immediately before opening, gently rotate the container to distribute mites evenly throughout the carrier material.
- Open each container in the crop when ready to use.
- Shake small quantities of Swirskiline onto crop near flowers.
Storage and transport
- Keep out of direct sunlight.
- Transport and store at 59-68°F/15-20°C until ready to use.
- Use within 18 hours of receipt.
- Do not refrigerate.