Oriline i contains the species Orius insidiosus is specifically used in North America because it is native to this part of the world. Orius is one of the only biological control agents that is able to kill adult thrips . This species has become a standard treatment for thrips almost worldwide. It is often used as a follow up treatment after Amblyline or Swirskiline releases. It takes around 4-8 weeks to establish a population particularly well on pollen-rich crops. However, Bioline’s Oriline product is reared in our “ACTIV” rearing system which provides faster establishment on the crop.
Target Crops » All indoor and outdoor crops
Target Pest » Thrips, Moth eggs (secondary target) & Spider Mite (secondary target)
Target Life Stage » Whole life cycle
Delivery Systems » Bottles
- Orius is the only biological control agent that kills adult thrips.
- Can kill up to 80 adult thrips per day (while only feeding on a few).
- Establishes well on pollen-rich crops.
- Feeding Ephestia eggs (Bug Food E) will enhance the establishment of Orius due to increased fecundity.
- All five nymphal stages of Orius are predatory and adults can fly.
- Considered a generalist predator it will also feed on mites, moth eggs and other pests.
- Takes 4 to 8 weeks to establish a population.
- Western Flower thrips
- Onion thrips
- Other thrips spp
- Moth eggs
- TSSM eggs (Two Spotted Spider Mite)
How It Works
- All mobile stages are voracious predators of Western Flower thrips and will attack any developmental stage including adults (not eggs).
- Often used in a program with predatory mites in crops.
- Introducing Amblyseius cucumeris or swirskii will control young thrips, and the Orius will complement this by preying on both juvenile and adult thrips.
- Will quickly establish when feeding on the target pest as well as pollen.
Available delivery systems
- Supplied in a 250ml bottles containing either 500 or 1,000 , and 2000 adults and late instar nymphs.
Handling & Storage
Instructions for use
- Apply in cool morning or evening.
- Avoid application in bright sunlight.
- Open bottle keeping it horizontal to ensure bugs stay well mixed in carrier.
- Distribute contents evenly onto leaves throughout crop, by gently shaking and rotating the bottle.
- Best to make four smaller introductions during four consecutive weeks to create overlapping generations of Orius
- Storage and transport
- Transport and store at 6-10°C (43-50°F).
- Keep out of direct sunlight.
- Use within 18 hours of receipt.